I have never built one. I assisted a couple of evenings on my neighbors cedar strip. Cedar strip kayaks take true dedication but are a work of art when finished. Almost too nice to use but they work great.

I have seen lots of friends "Stitch and Glue" constructions like the Pygmy kits. Despite the less than romantic name of this construction style, if done right and a lot of care goes into the details, you actually get a very beautiful wooden boat out of it.

Most I have seen were made via courses that the people took but I have seen at least one Pygmy kit and it was a pretty nice boat. Pygmy have been in the business forever and well respected so I would have confidence in their kits although I have no personal experience.

The only drawback is that buying a kit is kind of like buying a speaker without hearing it first. A kayak choice can be a very personal thing with so many designs, lengths and cockpit fits.

Try to find a kit that will suit your paddling style & intentions.....Day trips vs. camping, big waves vs. flat water or an all-rounder, fits your body type, primary vs. secondary stability, tracking vs. agility, etc.

Do a bit of research into the style and design you want before and you will have a boat that not only is perfect for you but you will have made it yourself and will look great. Wooden boats are always eye catching and everybody always comes closer to check them out.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.