In the new office I'm working on at home, I would like to put a pair of M3's mounted on a wall that I'll be facing most of the time. So, I plan on running speaker wire from there to where I plan on placing some component(s).

I don't want to spend a lot of money on this, but at the same time, I'd be wanting something that sounds good.

Room size is approx. 150 sq foot.

My requirements: Play CD's with enough power to drive M3's so that they will sound their best. They are rated at 175 watt.

(I've read all of the points that it takes a lot of watts to raise the volume 1 db more, but I think there's a lot more to the sound than just raising the volume when adding additional power in watts. Deeper and louder bass, for instance.)

I'd like something along the lines of Marantz m-cr603, (which is a receiver and CD player) but it's only rated at 40 wpc at 8 ohms. This may be plenty to drive the little M3's, but I'd have to hear it first to be convinced that 40 watt is enough to get the best sound from them.

Other things I'd like to have if I don't have to pay a big premium for it: SACD, turntable hookup, tuner.

An older receiver may work fine, but I don't want an older CD player because the drive mechanisms wear out and the firmware may not play the newer discs. I've been replacing my blu-ray players about once a year due to this wear factor.

If there are multiple components, they all have to match.

Components must be primarily silver, (or white) to match the decor.

Last edited by CatBrat; 07/27/11 07:05 PM.