Just this week, I received my new Axioms: M22s, VP100, and QS4s. They sound great. They are coupled with a HSU STF-2 and an H/K 230.

Even after reading lots of posts in the forums about calibration, I'm still somewhat confused. The H/K has a mic for calibration built into the remote. I did what the manual suggested: set the volume to -15dB and let the receiver do it's thing. Strange result: all five speakers were set to +10dB. This doesn't make any sense--it simply made everything sound louder at the same number on the receiver display. (Reminds me of Spinal Tap--"But our amplifiers go to 11").

So, I went to Radio Shack and bought the analog SPL for $40. At the levels I want to listen at, I can hardly get the SPL to register. I guess I have to crank the receiver way, way up to get 75dB on the SPL. But, it seems like I should configure at the volume I plan to listen at--unless the entire system (receiver and speakers) is linear over volume.

BTW, the receiver generates test tones and my Finding Nemo DVD has a THX setup menu as well. I will grab the "Home Theater Tune Up by Sound and Vison" DVD at my next opportunity.

Any advice?