Great story!

At the moment, I'm on my sailboat in Georgian Bay weathering a classic September gale (in port!) with 40-knt gusts. It's a gale watch over much of the Great Lakes and I'm glad I'm not out in the open bay. It's quite comfortable in port--the heater is on and the boat moves around quite a bit--and the wireless internet is working fine.

I don't fish any more but that was a great yarn you told and that shark is huge! The largest fish I ever caught up here in the Great Lakes was a 4-foot pike that I reeled in when I was 9 years old. It seemed like a giant to me at the time. I had to use a gaff to get it into the boat.

I'm back in port because I was doing an overnight at Snake Island (saw no snakes) about 7 miles out near a lighthouse, and lost my diesel auxilliary the next morning as I motored out from the anchorage (bearings in the water pump seized and the engine began to overheat so I shut it down). Had to sail back, which turned out to be OK because the winds and weather were favorable, with some tacking. I accepted a tow into the yacht harbour as trying to sail into my mooring would have been too risky.

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)