Originally Posted By: FordPrefect
I try to avoid being on the bleeding edge. I've got a 60" but would love an 80". Once you get to that price point it makes sense to look at a projector/screen combo.

In my imaginary HT world I push a button, a curtain parts revealing a 120" screen. Push the button again the screen closes, a few seconds later it opens revealing the 60" tv. Women faint and children cheer.

Ford, i already have a projector with a 135" screen.... i though about mentioning that but didn't... I've had the projector years and really like it. However, the one drawback to the projector is the bulb life. With my projector if i was not going to watch "projector" for a period greater than 30min i would not turn it on... I may also buy a motorized screen like you mention, i have though about that as well...

As nice as a large picture is, it is nicer to not worry about the bulb, i realize that you can always buy replacement bulbs ect... depending on where i buy a house, and how much room the house has, i may have a projector room... When i used my projector, i had about 4 sets of black sheets that i would use as "window treatments" they worked really well, but are more appropriate for someone in their 20's.... The other draw back is the room pretty much has to be movie theater dark, so for "regular living" it is not as family friendly. If you are going to sit down and watch a movie, then it is a non-issue. But if you want to watch some tv, then go in the kitchen make some food.. ect ect.. with other random lights on, it becomes less appealing over a brighter display.

I still have my projector, and will probably use it again, but for now it is safe in it's box, as i use a 60" DLP for the time being. This is how i discovered the virtues of having a "TV" that you can watch with other lights on in the house smile