Up until recently have been using the built-in amps in my Denon AVR-3808CI for stereo music listening. I needed to use the AVR's "Stereo" mode in order to use the DSP-based built-in 80Hz crossover to my equalized SVS sub. Direct mode, sending the full-range signal to my M60v3's, does not work in my room due to a big room peak between 35-55Hz. Also, at least in my room, the M60's have absolutely no need for any of the DSP-based features of the AVR, including the Audyssey "calibration" which did nothing to tame my low bass room peak.

I had been looking at Emotiva etc. but most good new amps these days are kind of large, heavy and pricey. So I decided to take a chance and picked up a vintage Carver M1.0t magnetic-field amp (circa 1987) to drive the M60's. Now the AVR can run in the much better sounding "Direct" stereo mode which is pure analog except for A to D and D to A conversion where required. I dug out my old Outlaw ICBM analog crossover (from the analog-only SACD/DVD Audio days circa 2001) to maintain the proper 80Hz crossover.

In a word...WOW!

I had never been a believer that the power amplifier could make such a huge difference. I am now!

The M60's have always had great imaging but now they sound like the ultimate poor-man's line source ribbon speaker! Also, IMHO the M1.0t's original "tube-like" transfer function is a match made in heaven for the Axiom tweeter.

The stereo image is wider and smoother, the sound is more "liquid", effortless and musical.

The stock M1.0t is rated at 200w/ch. Is all that power really needed for the M60's? Certainly not, but this is not about power ratings. (plus it's kind of nice to have more than 20dB of headroom above 90dB for the occasional recording that still has actual peaks!)

Since the amp is nearly 25 years old, I sent it to one of the members of thecarversite.com to have it re-capped (all electrolytic capacitors replaced - these generally have a life of no more than about 20 years) - and modded to what they call the "Mk2". The mod stabilizes the bias circuit for cleaner operation at all temps as well as reducing distortion at all levels including lower levels. A side-benefit is even more power - it is now rated at 400w/ch! at 8 ohms.

This thing should be all set now for another 25 years. It barely gets lukewarm after driving the M60's at reasonably loud levels for a few hours.

Bob Carver is now into handmade tube amps and ribbon speakers in the $20k+ range but there are plenty of these beasts on the fleabay for about $300. The re-capping and mod is about another $300 so for $600 you've got IMHO one of the best amps ever designed and a perfect match to the larger Axiom speakers. (not sure how it would be into the 4 Ohm M80 though)

--Mark--

Last edited by MarkyM; 03/14/12 01:28 PM.

M2v3's, M60v3's, VP100