Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople
Peter, on a very basic level, a sport that relies on the precise synchronization of eight people, is far more difficult than the independent performance of one.

Cam, remember that this is just your opinion. I'm just saying I disagree. I've rowed before. It is a difficult sport, but with training that synchronization becomes second-nature. Rhythm is not crazy hard to attain.

Synchronization of the stroke is a whole different story when you're rowing competitively, as Andrew's experience illustrated. The perfect stroke involves so many variable, which in turn relies on eight men. It's not just the oar.

As with all sports, the difficult part is the training: the grueling schedule to push the endurance and strength of the human body further, the personal sacrifices made to dedicate a significant portion of your life to the possible attainment of fleeting glory. This experience is not unique to rowing.

Where did I even elude to this? I just said it's the most difficult sport in the Olympics. The Olympics isn't competitive training. Obviously the training is difficult in all sports (although based on your statement, ping-pong is as difficult as rowing), but the performance when the time matters is just as difficult (if not more) in sports. There's so many more correlates that come into play. I have heard professional athlete will say that, and experienced it myself. You train to pull it all together for that one moment; to be the best. One mistake, that's it. No "let's retry that".

Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople
Of the summer sports, I also played football, judo, mountain biking, badminton, baseball and lacrosse (the latter two are no longer in the Olympics). No bias, just informed.

Naturally, you're informed about your personal experiences, but it comes off as arrogant and dismissive to say that all the other olympic sports are less difficult than rowing. Can you not see that?

No. It's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. It's not dismissive to other sports. If I say it's more difficult than women's basketball, it doesn't dismiss women's basketball. It's an opinion.

Question - is their another Olympic sport that consistently uses every muscle in your body?

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.