Originally Posted By: Coal
More questions:
1. Do I need a surge protector?
2. Are there huge differences in HDMI cable quality?

A surge protector is a good idea but NOT the plug in surge protectors you are probably thinking about.

If you are the homeowner, to properly protect yourself from destructive surges from entering your home and finding ground via your electronics or appliances you must first apply earthed ground surge protectors to the incoming electrical, cable and utility services. This would act essentially as a single whole house protector. Destructive surges destroy electronics but they also can destroy your home appliances.

A surge protector such as this installed to the inside panel and earthed to the homes ground is a good first line of defense. When it works you will never know it because it will take the surge and harmlessly ground it. Plug in protectors and UPS devices are ineffective in this regard.

Or you can call your electrical company and they can install something similar on the outside line. I believe you can even rent them from your electrical company.

But either way, these type of protectors are not very expensive. Actually it is cheaper cost /unit of protection.

http://www.smarthome.com/4860/Leviton-51120-1-Whole-House-Surge-Suppressor-Surge-Protector/p.aspx

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne