We've built two kitchens. The first remodel I have no idea what brand the original cabinets were, but they were mostly press board with laminate faces (read: cheap). They came out with ease, breaking up into pieces for easy disposal. We replaced them with KraftMaid. Like many things you buy, there are upgrades available. We went with their top end; all plywood construction and solid door fronts. Then Katrina came.... these things, even after a good soak in brine required sawz-alls and sledge hammers to remove. If the bob cat had fit through the door, we'd have used that!
So for the second rebuild, we went with KraftMaid again, this time upgrading to auto-close drawers on top of the aforementioned APC and solid door fronts.

In both cases we went through Home Depot and felt that we got a good deal. My parents also went to HD and got Thomasville brand cabinets and basically got the same quality as KraftMaid at an inflated price due to Thomasville's reputation as a furniture maker.

The nice thing about going through a HD or Lowe's is that part of the design process comes with a real person to come measure your kitchen to make sure there are no errors. And HD was ~$2000 less than the boutique kitchen design shops just for the cabinets and didn't include installation.

Shop around, you'll find the combination of price and service you're happy with.

Scott

My HT