Originally Posted By: casey01
Originally Posted By: cohesion
For those who continue to recommend or even gush about how great these cheap "Pro" amps are, I have only one question: Have you actually heard one and compared its performance on real music material against a good quality separate amplifier driving good quality speakers like the Axiom M80's or LFR's?

As per my previous diatribe about this, I did try my QSC amp(GX3 - 300watts/ch))in my HT system(M80s) and once again, because of the noise issue, it just wasn't feasible and as we all know noise levels DO affect performance. I talked to someone at QSC about this and they did admit amps like the GX3 or any models in their less expensive GX series, are really not designed to use in an HT application.

Since QSC, in particular, has many different models at varying price levels and quality including amps for pro cinema, the rep indicated that I would need one of their more upscale models to fill the bill which, in the end, would require spending more money anyway.

I certainly agree that fan noise isn't something I'd be keen on hearing and this is another argument against using them in home or HT applications. Are there any that don't use fans for cooling? And as another consideration, by the time one buys more than one (for multichannel HT applications) does it not increase the total investment to closer to the point where a multi-channel HT-specific consumer amp becomes a viable option?