Originally Posted By: JohnK
Sure, Dana; just wondering why such an emphasis on speaker sensitivity(even dropping a fine average sensitivity Philharmonic from consideration)when these days amplifier power is so plentiful and relatively inexpensive.

Actually, I asked Dennis Murphy (designer of the Phil 2's) about the Phil's being a match to my listening practices. I do like it loud at times and mostly rock and progressive rock is what i listen to. Dennis has the same amp that I had, a Marsh a400s...even Dennis recommended to me the Phil's were not the best match for louder rock music. Who am I to question the designer of Salk (crossovers) and the Phil speakers...Dennis is a stand up guy and would never try to sell you something if he didn't think it was a fit for you. He actually suggested for me to look at something more sensitive.

So, yea, I guess there is something to be said for high sensitivity speakers, at least for me anyways, and that was what peaked my interest to begin with. So the fact that I do, at times, like to crank up to above 107db for brief periods of time of course (risk hearing damage I know), my emphasis on high sensitivity speakers is "in my mind" warranted.

M80's, QS8's, M22's, CHT SHO-10, Dual CHT SS-18.1's, Onkyo NR3008, Mitsubishi WD-73740