Originally Posted By: JohnK
Zak, judging from the 8 watt number shown, that amplifier might handle about 10 reasonably clean watts. That would allow for peaks in the mid 90s of decibels from Axiom speakers at your listening position.

With that sub the M2 would make a nice system for listening within those limits. You'd try to get a blend with the sub by setting its low-pass filter in the 80Hz area.

Originally Posted By: alan
Hello Zak,

I'd agree with JohnK's recommendation. You'll likely find the Axiom M2's to be quite a lot more neutral than the Yamaha speakers.
Just be very careful not to push the tiny Yamaha amplifier into distortion. The Yamaha amp is rated at very high distortion (10%) and at a single frequency, 1 kHz (those are typical of mini-system specs, which enables the manufacturer to claim higher power output for marketing purposes).

Note that a small amplifier like this one pushed into distortion (clipping) can risk damage to the woofers and tweeters of the M2.

Regards,
Alan

Originally Posted By: jakewash
+1 to what John and Alan said.

Thanks to all for replying!

I was really looking forward to pairing some M2's with this system, but I think I will leave well enough alone and keep the current setup as-is for now.
I might just replace the Yamaha mini-system with the retro Outlaw audio RR2150 Stereo Receiver in the future.
I know it will have no problems powering the Axiom speakers: grin

Thanks guys!
Take care,
Zak

Last edited by Zak; 06/17/13 03:44 AM.

Panasonic TC-P65V10 65" Plasma
Sony KDL-55XBR8 55" LED LCD
Yamaha RX-V3800
Axiom Epic 60 - 500 (7.1)