I have a sound booth here for voice over actors and the certain number of cheapo clients that think "Frank in the mail room should do it, he has a real deep voice!". I've also had singers, though there's not enough room in there for any accompanying instrument except a harmonica or kazoo.

I don't disagree with JohnK in theory, but would like to offer a little contrast.

I assume you'll be doing your own editing and processing? I would start with a good set of headphones. There's really not a lot of argument in how the 'phones will allow you to hear detail easier than speakers. Depending upon the isolation you have from the rest of the world, it can also help get you past the Harley Davidson going by outside or the kids getting tired of hearing your voice repeating the same phrases over and over as you edit for plosives or sibilance.

I DO use powered "monitors" (Mackie 824s) for a few reasons:

- They don't require a separate amp or receiver and there's never an issue of "inappropriate settings" changing the sound

- They include proximity settings which can counteract the speakers sitting closer to walls or corners and having a higher bass output due to the boundary effect. Yes, this is contrary to the point I just made

- My Mackies have deeper bass extensions than M22s, M3s or M2s. While at first glance that seems superfluous as being deeper than vocal range, you still need to hear everything to ensure that there isn't a level of rumble under your voice. In other words, though the M22s are known to be flat, you really would have to combine them with a sub and therefore deal with all the bass management stuff and sub locations, etc. By time you buy that sub and receiver, you're into the same price range as a good pair of "monitors". Easier to have a bookshelf-sized speaker with a capability to be flat to 40Hz...or, as mentioned above, headphones.

- Even if you DID set up M22s and a sub and a receiver in such a way that you feel 100% confident that they represent the recording...not more nor less.... there is still something to be said for using what's often considered a standard when you're in business and expected to have a level of professionalism.

My computer video monitors are calibrated. If a client gets the final image and says "it looks a little red", I can ask them (nicely) if their monitor is calibrated accurate, because mine is. Now, that's not to say that I can't reduce the red if it makes the client happy. But they now understand that what was done here was done with professional, calibrated equipment, and maybe that $60 store brand monitor isn't the better reference.

In other words, you're going to be charging money and understood to be the professional here. When your clients play back your VOs on their computer speakers, or their Bose Wave Radio or in their car and think you've got a bit too much "Announcer Bass" or it sounds a bit thin, don't you really want to tell them that the editing was monitored with "XX Brand" of Studio Monitor or "XX Studio Headphones"?

Correct or not, perception matters.

I love my Axiom speakers and the Axiom company. But you can have my Mackies when you pry them from my cold....oh, you know the rest.

Hey, look everyone! I think I made my first helpful post of 2013!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::