Murph, my life sometimes seems to revolve around AA rechargeables! I have two systems that I like:

As Joe mentioned, the Eneloop batteries are very popular. Their chemistry is a bit different than others (I don't remember what the exact difference is) and they have the ability to hold their charge in storage longer than the typical rechargeable. Note that the link's price is actually for eight batteries. I just bought 32 each of these. Their disadvantage is that they have a nominal 1900 mAh rating.

The other batteries I like are the Powerex batteries. They have a higher mAh rating of 2700, but they are best if you charge right before use.

Chargers are important also. I use one of these Powerex Chargers that I really like. It acts like an independant charger for each slot and does well when mixing batts of varying stages of charge. It also have a slow, gentle charge or a fast charge choice for the group as a whole, and a conditioning system.

I price-watch this La Crosse charger as it also has a very good reputation and being 4 slots instead of 8, would fit easier in a pocket of a camera bag. It bounces from $28 USD to $38 USD on the American Amazon site.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::