Speaking of Screech - when I was first sent to Gander, I (like all other mainlanders) was required to go through the 'Screech In' ceremony. It consists of a humourous historical Newfie speech by 'The Screech Master' followed by the requirement of the victim to down in 1 gulp a generous shot glass of Screech; however, there is a trick to this exercise. After the upchuck & gag reflex subside, it is necessary to lick the remaining nectar out of the glass - right to the bottom. Failure to do so results in having to repeat the torture until one figures that bit out - thankfully I was pre-briefed, ha! The date & victim's name is then duly logged into a ledger behind the bar; however, it is imperative to remember the date so that the proof can easily be found within the time limit or panic can set in quickly!

Oh, one other rule - being 'Screeched-In' in one location does not follow the person from place to place in Nfld and/or Labrador. So, be prepared to undergo this barbarism wherever one goes. Avoiding bars or repeating the ceremony are the only alternatives....

TAM