Originally Posted By: BlueJays1
Originally Posted By: BobKay
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Post deleted. Sorry.

Tom, by his own admission, he is a Bombayed, gin-blossomed, porch monkey with a gun. Careful. Next time, a simple "Post Deleted" may not save you.

Porch Monkey - a black person referring to perceived common behavior of groups hanging out on front porches or steps of urban apartment complexes in US cities.

Sorry if that's what you thought or what Miriam thinks. So be it. I won't use at as loosely any more.

Where I'm from (an old urban area), any group of inebriated people (especially during the daytime), collected on a "piazza" were porch monkeys. It was also used to describe too many filthy-looking children or teens all gathered and crawling around out in front of a single residence. Frat boys in front of their ramshackle frat house qualify as well. If you didn't have a porch, but merely steps, then those conducting the same behaviors would be stoop monkeys.

I should have modified my language for the non-regional, international audience that this is. So, yes, I was incorrect. Even though you say you're on your porch drinking gin, one cannot be a sole porch monkey. My bad. One needs friends.
(The same ages and a single ethnic group wouldn't hurt, though.)

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.