Originally Posted By: Lance_H
I have high frequency hearing loss, which means I can hear dialogue but can't understand it well because I cannot differentiate consonants well.

I have the 180 center speaker now, with M80s on the side. I'm still not understanding movie dialogue. I have a new Yamaha Aventage RX-A3030 on the way hoping that might help (running a Denon 3312 now with a Behringer to push the M80s).

I've seen comments to the effect that Klipsh speakers are colored in the treble range. Wouldn't that help me? What center speaker brand might help me since the Axiom isn't working for me, though my wife loves it?

I doubt if a speaker change is necessary nor would I think it would be of any benefit to you anyway. The Yamaha AVRs(I have one of the new Aventage CX-A5000 Pre-Pros)which is very similar in features to the 3030, has a very good parametric equalizer that you can adjust in multiple frequencies manually on each channel including subs. You will get more out of how to do it by looking at the manual on the disc that is supplied or on the Yamaha website.

It is just a matter of bringing up the "set-up" menu on the left side of the screen, click on the speaker icon at the bottom, press "manual" and OK which is a the top of the screen and it will then bring up the speaker choices on the left. You will then press "parametric EQ" and it will bring up the choices in which you will then press "manual". You will want to do this for the center channel alone leaving everything else in the "flat" configuration, however, after finding the right set-up for you and it will require some experimentation, it may be necessary to boost the higher frequencies in all the other channels as well. I doubt if implementing the "YPAO" room correction system would be of any value to you.

Being able to boost frequencies in the mid-upper range of the centre channel alone would more than likely be able to compensate for your hearing loss in those critical frequency ranges. Of course, the small problem is that if somebody else with "normal" hearing comes in to your room to watch a movie, the high frequency range boost would probably be somewhat irritating for them, however, too bad, its your stuff.