People are sometimes too stupid to realize the obvious and as such, laws are drafted in the hopes that it helps to deter the stupidity. Case in point, needing to have a minimum number of lifejackets on a boat. Too bad the law doesn't say you have to wear them.
Another case from Australia:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...eed-frenzy.html

I have no sympathy for the truly idiotic or those who think they are somehow so strong they will overcome all odds, like the power of the the ocean!

We live on the prairies in river land. Currents are always strong.
In our round pool, just last weekend, i demonstrated to our daughter what currents are like and how we cannot beat them by swimming. You get two bodies in a circular pool with float boards and move around the circumference pushing water in front of you to begin the water swirling. Then, turn around and try to swim against the current in the pool.
She now much more clearly understands how playing near the river can be dangerous.

Good on ya Murph for knowing your crap in those situations! Always bring a throw rope and small spare (possibly gas cartridge inflatable) flotation device as well as a whistle. I'm sure it won't be the last time you come across someone in trouble.
cool

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."