Thanks Mark. I'm still embarrassed though...

BTW this is getting terribly off topic but I do have to say that the bigger amp really made a difference in my enjoyment of the system. The speakers are in a large room (~4200 ft^2 for the immediate listening area) and that space opens directly into at least another 5000 ft^2. The house is mostly one big open area with bedrooms tacked on the side and back -- the floorplan has been uncharitably described as "a double-wide with a bump-out".

With the receiver's built-in amp I was playing mostly music that sounded good at low volumes, but now everything is fair game again. When playing as loud as I would want for comfortable listening, maybe 8-9 feet from the fronts of the speakers, the distortion lights *just* start to flicker dimly on the most demanding content. On this amp that apparently happens around 260W into 8 ohms.

When I had the M60s in a smaller room the power requirements seemed to be quite a bit lower and the HK 3270 seemed a lot closer to providing enough power for normal listening, although I still had to limit the volume a bit. I guess I have "just enough power" for the new listening area now, which is kinda nice and highly recommended.

Last edited by bridgman; 08/15/14 06:18 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8