When tablets came out, I didn't really get why people liked them. Never even entered my mind to get one... Then I started seeing some benefits. They appear to be pretty damn handy for travel, a quick internet search that does not involve squinting at the smart phone or using the office computer. Still not enough to push me over the edge and buy one though.

Then these new things started appearing. You can use them like a tablet, but if you prefer to use them like a lap top with a key board, you can do that too. They even have USB ports... OK, now I'm getting interested.

My trusty lap top is about five years old. It's time to retire it. Poor thing has been dropped a few times, smells like motor oil, and it always has been cumbersome for vehicle tuning.

I started looking at these combo laptop/tablet things, and don't know where to start.

I really don't want to give up screen size. My laptop has a 15" screen. It's too hard to see the tables and charts when tuning as is. A key board and a mouse is also mandatory, but touch screen capabilities would be super cool. Being thin and light would be way cool. Good battery life is very important. When I flash a new calibration to a vehicle, I then take it for a drive to log data. Sometimes that can take an hour.

The scanning software I use is a memory hog.

I also use my laptop for video calibration. That's another memory hog...

Are there any manufactures that are better than others? Some to avoid?

I'm just looking for some general buying advise at this point.