In reply to:

i would also like some real world opinions on the formats. people who have heard them all, there pref. and why?

I have a fair amount of experience with DVD-A and SACD. I think they are both amazing formats, and I hope they both survive.

If you are as big a Pink Floyd fan as I am, then you will not be able to live in a world where "Dark Side of the Moon" exists in a format you can not play. I also have some DVD-A's by Mike Oldfield, Alan Parsons, Fleetwood Mac, Santana and others. For densely layered music such as this, the 5.1 format allows for some interesting effects.

Most DVD-A's have a DTS soundtrack that can be played in standard DVD players, and most SACD's are dual layer and can be played in standard CD players. In order to play the high resolution multichannel mix, however, you will have to have a player specifically designed to play DVD-A's or SACD's. You can, however, buy DVD-A's and get a taste of what it is like by playing the DTS soundtrack.

In order to take full advantage of these formats, you will need several things;

1) A universal DVD/DVD-A/SACD player. Pioneer makes one, the 563a, which retails for as little as $140. Some people have reported problems with this unit playing certain discs, but I had one for 5 months and never had a problem. If you are patient, you may find some Denon universal players (widely regarded as some of the best on the market) on e-cost.com or Dakmart.com at good prices. Also, some reasonably priced universal players are on the horizon.

2) A receiver which has a set of 5.1 inputs. DVD-A and SACD data cannot be transmitted via a digital loink...the player must decode the signal and send it to your receiver via 6 analog connections.

3) 6 good quality RCA connectors

Additionally, DVD-A's and SACD's are mastered using direct radiating speakers to the rear of the listener. Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 soundtracks are intended to have surround information coming from the sides. Therefore, to take advantage of both movies and multichannel music, a 7.1 system using surround speakers to the sides and direct radiating rear speakers is ideal. This is what I have, and I think it is better for DVD-A and SACD then a 5.1 system, and I've tried it both ways. Others have had good results using a 5.1 system for both movies and DVD-A/SACD.

I have no preference between the formats. They both have advantages...DVD-A's have some video content, including menus, and SACD's have the advantage of mostly being compatable with regular CD players.

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"