I used to use a Nest. I had a two wire thermostat at my old home. The nest would "vampire" the furnace. Pulsing it rapidly, too fast for the furnace to engage, just long enough to get some electricity for the nest battery. It worked fine.
I moved into a new home last year. Two wire thermostat. Installed the nest and was unlucky to receive a huge electricity bill. The nest did not play nice with the new furnace and caused it run too often(without heat coming on).
I ran a new 3 wire thermostat cable, but now my nest would not work at all. I dealt with customer support and found out that it had failed. I seemed to be a common problem with my generation nest.
If you are new to thermostats, with three wires, on wire is switched power for the furnace and the other is constant power for the thermostat to operate.

I bought the simplest Honeywell non programmable thermostat I could find and have been quite happy with it. I did not want to spend the money again on the nest. I had too many other things I needed for my new house. 68 degrees when we are home, 65 at night or if we are away working. If I forget to turn it down to 65, I don't worry too much about it.

Last edited by Lampshade; 03/25/18 02:05 PM.

M3 and
M80