Oh Man! That HD-28 is beautiful. And Look how nicely the finish on the 000 has aged.

A few years ago (just stopped to think and it was 15 to 20 years ago. My! How time flies), I took my D-28 to the Martin factory to have the action lowered. (If you've never been there, you should go. They give tours) When I picked it up, I mentioned to the tech that maybe someday in the near future I'd have the guitar refinished, get rid of that yucky, old-looking, orange color, and get back to that beautiful white spruce top. I thought the guy was gonna have a coronary on the spot. He said "look how long it's taken that finish to age to that beautiful patina. You get that refinished and you'll lose half the value of the guitar." I said "But what about the little nicks and scratches (very few, really), and the spot on the back where my belt buckle has rubbed off the finish"? He said "Those are considered 'character marks' and, in moderation, have Little or no effect on the value of the guitar." Needless to say, that "yucky, old-looking, orange color" has become that "beauriful, aged, patina."

The moral? Take care of your guitar. Use a good polish, and keep it clean. Keep it in it's case when your not playing it. I know you love to have it out so you can look at it, but accidents do happen. But, by all means PLAY IT, and ENJOY IT. They are wonderful things, and provide endless joy, to you and others. And finally, NEVER refinish it.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton