It depends what you mean by "compete". Different listeners value different factors of the listening experience. I value soundstage and imaging (holography) more so than bass performance (although non-linear bass is an absolute killer of sound and I can't stand that). But others want the bass and don't so much care about imaging and soundstage.

The Model Ts have a higher chance than the active LFR1100s of energizing a room better and resulting in palpable bass.

The active LFR1100s have a higher chance at holography than the passive Model T due to the sound power curve riding on the listening window curve.

When I say "higher chance", I mean based on randomizing room selection. In my 2,000 cu. ft. living room, I would bet the active LFR1100 would be selected in favor of the Model T because not only is it good at holography in that room, it absolutely nails the bass. The Model T would likely sound very boomy to the point where I'd have to punt it like most Axioms in that room. But in my 4,000 cu. ft. basement, it is possible some may select the Model T because I bet it would absolutely slay the active LFR1100 in bass.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated