Dear Friends,

I need your thought to help clarify my TV strategy.

We currently have Comcast analog cable. I can get digital cable, but not the "on-demand" feature nor any DVR through Comcast.

We watch very damn little TV anyway, especially since we got Netflix. I'm not sure that I would miss it if we collapsed to OTA network, and perhaps upped the Netflix subscription to the 5-at-a-time plan instead of the 3.

I tried using a couple of different Terk indoor antennas (including the TV-55) and got unacceptable results.

I do not, at this time, have a HDTV-ready TV. It is not "next" on the HT investment path.

I recently moved the home theatre TV to a different room where there is no cable whatsoever. We haven't really missed it...yet. We're JUST watching DVD's and listening to music in that room at the moment.

I am considering the following options:

1. Rooftop antenna. I might have to fight with the homeowners association. I would get a HDTV-compatible antenna, somewhat future-proofing the investment. Would flush the cable and consequently recoup the capital investment eventually. Where does one find an expert to do such work nowadays anyway? Because I am NOT mounting a ten-foot-long aluminum thing 25 feet in the air. My kids need me.

2. Extend the cable to the other room, either myself or by giving more money to those "people" at Comcast. Status quo. Not "satisfying".

3. Dish Network PVR system. Looks virtually free to install, would get PVR features. About the same ongoing cost and programming of our current cable setup. I'd need to extend the phone system somewhat.

4. DirecTivo. A little upfront cost. More programming. More features. Probably still have the phone system problem. This is spending MORE money on TV, not less.

If I ditch Comcast now, by the time they DO offer enhanced features, I'd be a "new customer" and might get something out of the deal.

Does anybody have the Dish Network PVR? Is it of comparable quality and usability to the DirecTivo brand?

I know there are those that evangelize TiVo. I've heard you. I just don't know if I will have time to take advantage of it, or whether it will provide good "value" for me.

Your thoughts and cousel are eagerly sought. TIA.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem