Bigjohn;

I didn't make it to the Derby, but I did go to Oaks. The Kentucky Oaks is like the Kentucky Derby for fillies, and is held on the day before Derby. it is considered more of a locals day, and very little business gets done in Louisville on Oaks Day.

In any case, I made my Derby bets on Friday. A friend and I split a 5 horse trifecta box consisting of Lion Heart, Smarty Jones, Read the Footnotes, The Cliff's Edge, and Borrega. In addition, I put win/place money on Borrega and Read the Footnotes. I could find nothing not to like about Smarty Jones, but I don't bet favorites to win. At the last second, I placed an Oaks-Derby double bet on Ashado (the Oaks winner) with Smarty and Footnotes. That one paid $60, and is the only derby ticket I will be cashing.

Smarty Jones was clearly the best horse on the track Saturday, and I would not be surprised to see him win the Triple Crown. His nearly unknown jockey gave him a perect ride, and he ran down a tough speedster who was allowed to get loose on an easy lead, and all in the slop.

Anybody sitting on a $2 win ticket for the Derby ought to hold onto it, because the ticket will be a lot more valuable than $10.20 should Smarty Jones win the Triple Crown.

BTW, for all you bourbon drinkers out there, Woodford Reserve makes a Kentucky Derby commerative bottle each year...I picked up one today as a thank you for my host for the Oaks. You can see the bottle here

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"