Originally Posted by rrlev
Originally Posted by Canesfan27
I've read two differing opinions with a single subwoofer. Some say to place it in a corner and others say not to.
I think it depends on how what you're looking for in a sub. If it's a flat response ... probably best to stay out of the corners. If you want more boom (for movies or like the boom for your music) putting it in the corner maybe the way to go ... just MO

If you measure the phase response of a speaker or subwoofer you will find placing them away from room boundries leaves the signal intact. Phase plots cycle correctly. Pushing them into corners or against boundaries has the effect of removing phase coherence. Phase plots have incomplete cycles and polarity jumps all over.

Ie. The input signal cannot match the output, and the output cannot be made to match other channels easily at the crossover frequency. The result? High output with low choerence and random cancellation. Not to mention exciting all room modes.

“Boomy” and “slow” bass.

I have an install coming up with a recessed EP500. I will measure it to see what a baffle mount does.