Last year I traded in a pair of powered loudspeakers for passive speakers. It seems like heresy to give up a modern speaker with built-in amplifiers, DAC, and wireless streaming for a passive wired device that's been around for decades.

I was using a pair of Kanto Yumi's since 2015, their former flagship bookshelf speaker. They are a good sounding yet flawed loudspeaker, though I can use basic treble and bass tone controls to make them sound as neutral as the M5HP.

https://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php/ubb/printthread/Board/6/main/8357/type/thread

I decided against another powered loudspeaker system because I was looking to upgrade to a multichannel set up. Unless you go for the expense of an AVR with pre-amp outs, it made no sense to choose anything but a passive loudspeaker.

Then it occurred to me: why not take a page from the subwoofer playbook and add high level speaker inputs to a powered loudspeaker setup? This seems like a great inexpensive way of future proofing your loudspeaker to accept any future changes without being locked into a proprietary ecosystem.

If Axiom or Bryston patents the idea, feel free to send me an EP800 in walnut.

Thoughts?

Author of "Status 101: How To Keep Up In A World That Keeps Score While Buying Into Buying Less"