We most definitely are putting a fireplace there! The question was whether or not to add ports below the fireplace that would reach into the hollow cavity behind the fireplace, making it act as a helmholtz resonator.

The original fireplace was wood, but converted to natural gas by the previous owner. The cavity you see will remain hollow behind new framining which will be built with stack ledgestone/brick (approx. 6ft wide, 7ft tall, 14" depth). The gas fireplace will be installed in the new to be built brick wall (which will be at the same depth as cabinetry which will be built and installed under each of the windows).

The electrical you see will be above the new mantle and be used power xmas lights etc. We also need 120v ac behind/wired into the gas fireplace to operate the lighting/fan. The pre-existing outlet you may have seen in the cavity, would not have been original to the home when the fireplace was wood, but was added by a previous owner when they converted to gas (probably installed in the 80s before I was born lol).

Not sure if I explained it sufficiently, but once everything is completed it will definitely be up to code/fireproof, with no concern re: location of electrical. I grabbed a couple random photos from the internet for context: https://postimg.cc/gallery/zH7LDpw

Of course we will not be putting a tv up above the mantle, as our projector faces a different wall, but will have an outlet there.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Remus_Lupin; 11/11/22 01:39 PM.