The plan was to fix it, but I've already come across a couple of electronic shops that won't touch a plate amp despite servicing stereo equipment. I also want the pots and the phase switch replaced, so I might as well start looking for a replacement.

Now that I'm back in the market for audio gear, I do have some consumer commentary about the subwoofer lay of the land.

- RSL (I mistakenly called it Rogers above) is the competitor to beat with its Speedwoofer 10S and 12S. They're going to be stealing marketshare from everyone just by selling products at 33% to 50% the price of their competitors. And like Hsu Research, they're f***ing ugly.

- What is wrong with Lenbrook and PSB? In an industry that usually offers a 2 year warranty on electronics, they can't do better than 1 year. I'll pass.

- A 10" 12", or 15" driver is no guarantee that a sub will even reach 30 Hz +/- 3 dB. You have to check the specs.

- < 150W RMS amplifiers are more common than expected, even with Class D amplification.

- RSL and Hsu Research delivers to Canada at a staggering cost that wipes out any initial price advantage. Definitive Technology uses Amazon for both online retailing and outsourcing international logistics/warehousing, and that might be the way to go for smaller audio companies to reach international markets.

-Paradigm is enticing with their Defiance series, but only comes in black. Polk's specs don't impress, but it's a safe choice. Both come with 3 year warranties.

- Some brands apparently come with a button that says "Self-destruct: push me!" I'll keep a safe distance from SVS and KEF.

- I'm boycotting Klipsch for what they did to API.

- Axiom has a 20-33% price disadvantage vis-a-vis its competitors. When everyone else is sourcing from China, you pay a premium for a CCP-free "Made in Canada" badge. But Axiom's business model has 3 killer value-add features: the best warranty in the industry (5 years), an online storefront that calculates delivery and duty anywhere in the world, and custom/wood veneer finishes. That's an excellent defensive moat that their competitors can't easily duplicate.

I stare at a sub everyday, so aesthetics is my number one priority. I'm leaning either towards a Definitive Technology DN10 in white, or an EP350/EP500 in Eggshell White or Whitewash Maple and grey grill. Alas, I need a washer dryer pair, flooring, and backyard fence first.

Author of "Status 101: How To Keep Up In A World That Keeps Score While Buying Into Buying Less"