I haven't done much in the world of amps. In searching around a bit, the easiest (and cheaper) option for a decent a/v system was to go with an integrated receiver.
If however music is more your main concern, then amps/preamps might be the better pursuit. I was glancing at some Arcams not long ago, but there are really many possibilities. I love the Onkyo 797. It really is a natural sounding receiver, by far the best i've heard yet to date (but i also don't usually shop in the >$2500 range).

As for the Axiom auditioning, try out their 30d trial policy with a set of the smaller speakers like the M22s. You should be able to get a good idea of the Axiom 'sound'. Then if you return them, the cost of shipping of the 'bookshelf size' speakers is pretty low (i paid around $25 Cdn to return them to Axiom). If you liked the sound you could keep them or return them for the M80s you were really looking at.
I was also looking into Paradigm speakers many months ago before i stumbled across Axiom but those same 2 audiophile pro friends i have gave me some choice words about the quality of Paradigm speakers. I believe their reference line is worthy of purchasing but for the cost, the Axioms kick their _ss. Other than the sound quality, customer service is unparalelled, the forums are beyond helpful and the price is simply less. Take a look at my original review so long ago.
link to m60 and other speaker review
It might help to read some other M80 reviews or even M60 reviews in these forums. Do a search for Onkyo as well. I know that several other ppl here have the 797 model.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."