check out the comparison charts at yamaha.com.

If you go to their site, and navigate to the receivers, click on a model, and there will be a link to compare different receivers. They'll let you compare, side by side, the 2400, the 1400 and the RX-V1. On another sheet, you'll be able to compare the 750, 650 and a couple others. Comparing the 750 sheet to the 1400 sheet, you realize that the 750 and the 1400 only differ in a couple of ways - and you can decide how important they are.

So... starting from the viewpoint that both recievers are IDENTICAL, here are the differences...

1400 - 110 watts/ch.
750 - 100 watts/ch.

1400 - YPAO - complete
750 - YPAO - does not include re-equalization on the mains and surrounds. Essentially, you can futz with the bass, mid and treble manually, but the YPAO won't re-EQ your speakers, except for the center. Some say that this is a good thing (like Alan - a moderator on these boards), because the equalization can make the speakers sound much different, and basically undo all that the manufacturer did to make the speaker sound the way that it does.

1400 - lots of DSP modes
750 - MORE DSP modes (interesting, huh)

1400 - more digital inputs, fully assignable
750 - a couple of less inputs, fully assignable. I.e. unless you have 12 components, you'll find plenty of space to put your equipment, and don't worry that you'll have to remember that your CD recorder is hooked up to the MD jack - you can re-assign the name to correspond to the component that the input is being used by.

I believe that those are the only, if not the biggest differences. Both have DLPIIx, both have sh*tloads of processors. Both have a phono jack. Both have 2nd room capability, and bi-wireable capability. I think even the remote is the same.

Anyway, just my input. Go find out for yourself, then you won't need convincing, right!?

Good luck. Ps - you can't maek amistake with the options that you've chosen.