This on paper doesn't seem like much of a contest does it? The MSRP of the DPR was $1499.00 a couple of years ago compared to the recently released 502 at less than $300.00. First of all, understand the listening was only in two channel stereo. Also the speakers being used in the demonstration are the M60's running through the Pioneer 563A combo DVD Audio/SACD/CD player. Here goes.... I recieved the DPR last week and immediately set it up. The first CD I played was the Remixed and Remastered Skynyrd classic "One More From the Road". I just thought the sound was outstanding. The reproduction was very clear and forward sounding. The next listen was the SACD of the Rolling Stones "Now". This also come off sounding very well with a bit of harshness to Jagger's voice and his harmonica coming across a bit "bright". I will tell you at this point when I came across this forum, words like "bright", "warm" and others were not in my vocabulary with audio equipment. I think I understand the use of these terms now. The next listen was the Outlaws CD "Bring it Back Alive". This is where the worm seemed to turn for me. All the guitar sounds in the "4 guitar army" were distinguishable but screaching in nature. It actually hurt my ears to turn it up to any volume at all. I also did turn the treble down, which I like to turn up to it's fullest potential in most cases. I then auditioned two DVD's. These were the "Rush in Rio" and REM's "Square Circle". In these two DVD's the sound continued to be what I call "tinny" to where the reproduced sound was again, piercing to my ears at the higher levels. End of test. I immediately plugged in my Onkyo 502 to the same elements. I know, to some, this might be hard to believe, but to my ears there was no comparison in units. The sound of Jaggers voice was not as forward or harsh in the Onkyo. Also, the Skynyrd CD had more of a depth to it and not as stark at related to the DPR. The Outlaws guitars didn't seem to be separated as well as on the DPR but did not have the screeching qualites at the higher levels. The DVD's also seemed to not be as forward sounding but still had good voice and sound dispersion throughout the soundstage. If I would have payed retail price for the DPR, I personally would be very pissed off right now if I could not have returned it.......as I did yesterday. I thought with the drop in price it was a fabulous deal. I know the new DPR's are coming at by HK that is why this price was dropping like a rock. One of the great things I have learned from the forum is one poster who says "trust your ears" and another comment about "everyone not knowing everything about audio" or something like that. He is right. I would never believed that a entry level reciever for under 300 dollars would sound better in my home than one for 1499.00. By the way, I got it for 427.00. I probably will have to pay a re-stock fee. But I guess it was worth that to find out about the digital path recievers. I'm not saying the new H/K's won't be good. They well might. Yours might sound fine to you. This one also only had 50 Watts and yes, from listening, I do believe wattage does make a difference if you like to listen loud without distortion. This H/K also did some "clipping" at higher volumes that my Onkyo absolutely does not. The Onkyo is 75 watts. I don't want to get into the "wattage" battle with those smarter about it than me. I will just say that the Onkyo had more robust power and not the straining the DPR had a high volumes. Lastly, I would just like to say I've had the M60's for about two months now. They are an absolutely fabulous speaker and sound tremendous through this Onkyo 502. I thought I would get an upgrade with the DPR and move the Onkyo upstairs with my M22's. Which by the way also sound wonderful with the Onkyo. This at the time was not worth it to me. I will wait and play my 22's through my old 100watt Kenwood. I'm hoping this doesn't offend the DPR users. I am talking about my ears, my house and my system.
Todd