I was away for a few days, but want to join the chorus of congratulations for Bigjohn and Shannon.

Children are a miraculous blessing.

Bigjohn, I'm happy for you that you continue to enjoy the rich blessings of family, and happy for our world that there will be more people in it like you.

"Each child comes with the message that God is not yet discouraged with man." - Sir Rabindranath Tagore, Nobel Prize-winning poet (1861-1941)

My son Alex was born during the third quarter of a meaningless mid-season game between the Seattle Supersonics and the Golden State Warriors. I know this because we had the TV on in the birthing room during labor and delivery. As we had honestly not yet decided upon a name to shout at him for the next umpteen years, I suggested to my wife that we name him after the next player to score a basket. That plan was thrice foiled, as he ended up not being named Detlef, Latrell or Hersey.

Within seconds of being born, Alex's first act as a person was to pee on the attending nurse. It remains, in that boy-child way, a defining moment in his life.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem