jon in florida- hope you were able to dodge charley??

OK, back to the topic. your question is one that brings many different point of views.. do different receivers actually sound different?? well, to be honest, yes and no!!??

one would say that with all solid state receivers(lets keep tubes out of this), all the receiver does is process the signal, then amplify it. so some think that regardless of the make or model, most receivers sound the same. others think that each receiver can process differently, giving a better, or richer, or heartier sound..? the main difference you will find is in the watts. obviously, the more watts, the louder it will go, and that will definitely affect the 'sound' of the receiver.

the main things you need to be looking for, is for your new receiver(if its the yammy 1400) to have the up to date decoding capabilities. DTS, Dolby Digital, Pro Logic IIx, etc... if your old receiver didnt have these decoding capabilities, then the 1400 will sound TONS better. plus, i think the 1400 pushes like 90-100 watts per channel, so that will crank also.

there is my 2 cents. i am sure others will give theirs.. multiple opinions are good.. but i will say this. the 1400 is a great unit, yamaha makes great products, and i dont think you will be disappointed in your choice at all.. enjoy!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??