I was interested in a Nakamichi DVD player and reciever last year. In researching I learned a couple of things: Nakamichi Japan had filed for bankruptcy not to long before. As Peter noted they had shifted to B&O and Bose like packaged systems largely designed to look cool hanging on the wall. I don't know about how they actually sound.

The real killer for me was reading user reviews complaining about quality control issues and the absolute worst customer service I've ever heard of. One unhappy customer tried for months to get Nakamichi to respond to his problems. Finally he emailed them that if they didn't respond he would post all over the web review sites how about his lousy experience. He Finally got a response from someone with Nakamichi Australia. He had not the slightest interest in the problems the guy had with their equipment but made threats to do various things to the guy if he posted negatively about Nakamichi. Needless to say I decided to spend my money on other brands. Nakamichi no longer seems to be at all the company they once were.

Mark