Hello, I'm Jon. Great community you guys have here.

I've recently gotten a very strong urge to purchase a stereo system (my father claims that he too got the urge at 20 years of age, hah). So I've been researching speakers, amps, etc. and after reading so many good reviews of Axiom speakers, I'm here.

I can see that there are some pretty knowledgeable people on here, so I'm hoping someone can help me with my first system. I'm aiming to spend around $2200 Canadian on it, so I'm thinking $1200 for speakers, $400 for amp/receiver, $400 for a CD player, and $200 for accessories (wires, cables, stands). If it's going to mean much better performance I will dip into that $200, though.

I'm pretty sure that I've been sold on Axioms, more specifically the M22ti's. I'm not so certain about the sub, but I think the EP125 is enough for a small 9.5'x12'x7' room which opens to a kitchen in a sort of weird way (can e-mail diagram). Please let me know what you think about that though.

The main purpose of this system would be for music, but I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and get a 5.1+ channel A/V receiver instead of a regular stereo/integrated amp. I guess I'm asking if the sound and product quality is noticeably reduced by adding the extra Home Theater functions and components, while staying in my $400 ($500 max) price range. Now, as I predict, this urge isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so to me it seems I should go for the 5.1+ since it's multi-purpose, and will yield more noticeable results as I add more speakers. Then I can later upgrade individual components of the system. Opinions?

I was originally looking at Onkyo's TX-8511, then the TXSR-502, but I don't think Onkyo will ship to Canada...?? So now I'm looking at Denon's AVR-884 (ecost, refurb). Opinions?

Also wondering if it's worth it to get a CD player capable of decoding HDCD's, such as Denon's DCM-380?

On a different note, has anyone heard this Bose Wave Player? What do you think of it?

Thanks a million for any and all advice.

Axiom M60ti Hsu VTF-2 Mk2 NAD C320BEE NAD C542 Systemdek IIX Cables by Unity Audio