Depends on what kind of music you like. If you like to rock the house loud, the ASL isn't a top choice. If you like jazz, crooners and female vocals, new age, etc., it'd be very difficult to do better than the ASL.

I have a few other systems, with more expensive solid state receivers, an Onkyo 797THX and a 6 channel Sony STRDB 1070. The latter drives 4 Michaura M55s (same as the 2 driven by the ASL) with a Merak MC6H center and a 15" Dahlquist sub, the Onkyo a pair of M60 like Michaura M665s, another pair of M55s, a pair of Mission 77ds back surrounds, another Merak MC6H center and a pair of subs, a Klipsch LF10 and Velodyne CHT100.

For sweet sounding music, and accuracy, the ASL holds its own against the Onkyo system, even though the Onkyo is sourced with what was originally a $2000 MSRP Toshiba SD9200 DVD Audio player. When it comes to imaging and soundstage, none of my solid state systems can hold a candle to the ASL Ah! Njoeb Tjoeb, 8" Velodyne combo.

If you're interested in solid state you may want to consider the Outlaw 1050 at $499. If you want a steal in a sweet sounding receiver, try to find a Technics SADX 940-1050. These can be found steeply discounted and are unbelievably sweet sounding for a powerful 5 channel solid state. (which can be used for 2 channel no problem!) From my experiences, I'd stay away from Harman Kardon products, the last good one I had was an AVR 20, which in my opinion is just not in the same league as the others mentioned.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.