I have to add some comments about the Polk R50.

I walked into Fry's Sat Evening, and, in just browsing, I discover that the Polk R50's are on sale, for 79.00 each! Turns out, that Polk has a new speaker, replacing the R50's, and Fry's bought out the lot from Polk. (Retail is 639.00 / pair)

I have been waiting to buy some Axiom's, (prob in Feb) but this was too good a deal, not to at least buy them and try them out.

Here is my Delema, these speakers are the BEST 79.00 Speakers I will ever find. Not saying they are the BEST, but for the price, these things are awesom.

And, (this is probably true for any speaker) they sounded OK at first, but sounded much better after I ran my Receiver's MCACC auto setup.

They are very good for Home Theater, I watched several DVD's and heard a crispness and clarity that I was not used to.

However, they still sound a bit compressed, and the music does not "come alive". But They are a step up from what I am currently using. (I will be an Axiom Owner in the next month or two, I am waiting for my refund check from the IRS!)

So, the end result, is that I am going to take them back, hating myself as I do so. I will probably never come across a deal like this again, but really want that high end sound.

I am racking my brains, trying to figure out where to put these babies. Would they be a good surround sound speaker, would they be good in the bedroom, or garage, or somewhere!

Man, why couldn't I have found this deal 12 years ago, when I was poor and building a A/V system for the first time!!!

EDIT!!
I know what I am going to do! My dad is buying a new, wide screen TV, to replace the 27 incher that he currently has, and will I will get him started on a HT system. While not as good as Axioms, this is much better than any "Home Theater in a Box" speakers, and as his birthday is near father's day, I will have both Fathers Day and his Birthday taken care of!

What a good deal, and I can enjoy them until I get my Axiom's!

Last edited by BuddTX; 01/10/05 07:09 PM.