Hi Jim. I'm the guy with the M2s and M60s. First point, if you're anywhere near Toronto Canada you can just stop by and listen to them both.

Things to think about :

1. If your application is primarily music in a large room, I don't think you can do better than the M60s. Without a sub you will miss a couple of effects on songs like On The Run (Dark Side of the Moon) but for the actual "music" you won't miss a thing.

2. For Home Theater I guess the big question will be how loud you want to play things. The M2s will play quite loudly but you can definitely feel the point where they are getting out of their depth. I thought the (m2+sub) combination was ideal in a smaller room but in my 13x23 basement they were perfect for "comfortable" listening levels but there were some cases where I would have liked to be able to turn the volume up higher than the M2s were happy with. Not sure if I was hitting the amp limits (you have to turn the volume up higher with M2s) or the speaker limits, trying to borrow a bigger amp and will let you know.

3. The M60s are bigger than you might think, at least when viewed from the side (they're really deep). If you are "approaching from the front" they appear small and tasteful; if you walk into the room and approach the speakers from the side (ie if your door is on the side of the room near the front) the speakers really do look "big".

Bottom line, I think, is how loud you want to play. For a smaller room or moderate listening levels the M2+sub combination is fantastic. If you want higher volumes in a large room you probably need larger speakers and the M60s are hard to beat.

Things to consider :

- M22 + sub probably splits the difference, might be a good answer

- don't know if "volume limits" in my room are because the amp is only ~65w/channel (HK3270), need to find out

- if your listening is primarily music I would just go with M60s -- the "sub/no sub" dilemma is primarily an issue for movie effects on DVD

Hope this helps.

JB

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8