Great comparison article. I have demoed also the M40 and some of the Mission line. The M40 is great specially at its price but the congestion or tightness part I definitely noticed even with the the M22 which I ended up getting. M22 had better (even excellent in this price range)detail in mids and highs than M40 but M40 had better bass response.
After all of the time I spent with the M22Ti I still felt I was still missing something ... because the compact sound stage did not go away after break-in (which I thought it would). Not as noticeable in Jazz, Vocal and Bossa Nova/Latin stuff but I noticed it in Trance and Ambient Alternative music I have (The Crystal Method - "Vegas" tracks 2 & 9,10)
So now the M22 have moved to the back as my rear surrounds...which itself is a definite plus because now I get super super detail with a direct firing rear speakers as surrounds (Jurrassic Park 2 - Scene where the host of people as going through tall "rustling" grass while the raptors are "rustling" through the "swaying" tall grass sneaking up on both sides of host.
I opted with a Monitor Audio Silver S6 for my fronts. This speakers has given me the extended spacialness that the M22 missed and the bass response that I wanted (down to 35Hz instead of the M22Ti 50Hz). I actually wanted the Silver S8 but at $2200 CDN I could not afford it at this moment. The Silver S6 was at a $1450 CDN taxes in price point. Go audition them if you can because if you liked the Mission at that price point maybe the Monitor Audio Silver series may change your mind.
http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/products/silver/index.html
If you thought Axioms looked good in cherry finish. You should see those Monitor Audio in Rosemah (Rosewood-Mahogany)They are sweeeeet.
I was looking for a floorstander and I demoed:
Axiom M40, M50, M60 - okey..but the price wow at this level
Mission 700 series - okey
Paradigm Studio 60 - really liked
B&W CM2 - really like but bass was missing
Boston Acoustic VR950 - very surprised at this price
Keff Q7 - okey
PSB Status line - powerful but too much lower bass end
Monitor Audio Silver S6 and S8 - biggest range from low to high...and the clean and clarity really liked
Acoustic Energy Aegis 3 - disappointed

In the end I got the S6 due to its clean spaciality and wide range from highs to deeeeeep lows. I like British speakers due to its drive toward clean and clear (Which the M22 is very good with but bass is missing). North American speakers are more bass and ummpphhh...which gets muddy or busy in smaller/medium rooms which all of us mere mortal enthusiasts currently have. I was very very close with the Paradigm Studio 60. But the dealer with the Monitor Audio gave me a better price point. Remember I was primarily going for a floorstander for a small - medium room. If it was a bookshelk I think the Paradigm Studio 20 or 40 would have been my pick.
One thing about Monitor Audio speakers is that they tend to be overpriced in what they bring. But putting money aside it is always your "ears" that should tell you what to get. Not the reviews or price. If it is all ears and not the price or looks... I would go Proacs.
http://www.proac-loudspeakers.com