There's apparently a lack of standardization problem with bass management for SACD material, and maybe DVD-A (less sure about that one).

It's a very serious problem and I can't believe there's been so little discussion of it.

For DD 5.1 material, everything works great. The bass channel is recorded -10db and at playback time Dolby specifies the playback chain boost it +10db. The player and receiver mfgs implemented the standard, and everything works fine.

For SACD, I typically see subwoofer level at least 10db too low. IOW you calibrate subwoofer levels based on pink tones from either receiver OR SACD player with the RS meter. Then when you play the real SACD material, bass is weak. It looks like they recorded bass -10db like Dolby, but didn't coordinate with the playback chain to boost +10db.

You can't turn up the subwoofer knob, because the sub will then be too loud for CD, DVDs, DD 5.1 TV, etc.

The only solution is manually turn up the sub volume at least +10db on the player itself - if a discrete sub adjustment for SACD is available. Some players have the adjustment, and some receivers have separate level controls for each input (CD, DVD, multichannel analog). Those so fortunate can jerry-rig their systems to work, although it usually maxes out the bass adjustment. You shouldn't have to do that.

Regular DD 5.1 calibration is hard enough for average users. The SACD lack of bass standardization between mastering and playback is a total disaster. I'll bet less than 5% of users have their system adjusted properly. I just can't believe there's such little discussion of it.