Problem solved!-kind of. All is almost right with the world again but I tell ya it wasn't fun. Went through 3 Microsoft techs before one of them woke up an figured out how to do it without loosing everything. He did a second XP install without completely wiping the hard drive, but don't ask me how we got to this point. I feel like I've just emerged from the computer maze from hell-it's all just a blurr now.

I still have much of the stuff that was stored in "my docs.", "my pics." etc. Had to reinstall drivers and programs but I didn't loose everything. MX-Editor for my remote control was lost but thats not really a bit deal.

Norton Antivirus wouldn't install on the new XP install so I just spent another 2 1/2 hours with a Norton service tech. The Norton guy really knew what he was doing and the fix probably would have gone a little faster but his broken english was so poor that I had him repeating almost everything.

A great big hug and a kiss........maybe scratch the kiss......to all who offered advice and all the other member on this board. You guys & gals(sonic) are terrific.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.