Thanks bridgman. This is not going to evolve into a HT system. I have a HT system that I really like. The system in question is my "downstairs/secondary/put on a bunch of CDs for listening in the living room, pool deck, master bedroom/background music" system. I think the problem is that I got the M22s so I could have really good sound in my living room, but they are good enough to expose any weak links. When I first got my Yamaha receiver, I hooked the CD player up via the R and L CD (analog?) channels and it sounded about like it does now - only it would not play as loud and would cut off when I tried to play it loud. When I bought a Toslink cable and connected the CD player to the Yamaha receiver via that route it was a significant improvement - but still with the same volume/power issues. After some discussion on this board, I became convinced that I had just bought the wrong receiver for the job because it was designed for 6.1 - not 2-channel stereo with very low resistance from 3 sets of speakers - hence the HK. I think I might try my better CD/DVD/SACD player from the HT set-up upstairs - or my 14 year-old Denon 1-disc player that I have in my garage and see what I get...

Who woulda thunk that I would get upgradeitis on my secondary system?