Duffin,

800 Canadian is a steal for a pair of M60s. Though it might have been a typical price a year ago, Axiom has raised their prices to dealers within the last year. The dealers have followed suit, but many still carry inventory that pre-dated the price hike, and are not interested in gouging customers. This is likely why you're seeing a pair of M60s for $800, when the cheapest I've seen recently is over $1000 Canadian.

You may find a low-priced VP150 or QS8s, but don't be surprised if it's the older-model VP150 with a WTWTW array rather than the current TWWWT driver arrangement. There is a theoretical performance difference between the two (due to lateral dispersion of high frequencies), but I auditioned them head to head and couldn't hear any difference whatsoever.

As far as stores, I shopped at Replay Electronics in the west end of Toronto and they were fantastic to deal with. The Dumoulin/Audiotronic chain of stores no longer deals with Axiom, but some stores carry Axioms at clear-out prices. I'd take a trip back to that first store you found...a price difference from 800 isn't likely going to be worth the gas and hassle of taking a trip into T.O.