Exactly, that's what I was trying to say.. A pre-made box Axiom would design, that fits between standard 16 inch on center framing.. The box could be of most any volume, running up and/or down within the wall between the studs.. The actual open into the room could be of a size and shape that would allow proper placement of the speakers and tweeters, and at the same time be appealing in apperance..
At first, I was just thinking about the surrounds, which would not require much in the way of cabinet volume.. But I now believe this would work for mains and centers as well..
Sure, a few things to work out, such as an ability to toe in the mains, but nothing that could not we overcome in the design.. And yes, you WOULD have to be SURE of the placement within the wall, as you would have a tuff time moving them a little to the left or right :-) But some basic standards could be applied to give an overall 'best' placement ?
Remember, this is more for smaller rooms anyway, or where space on the floor is at a premium.. There is almost always a trade off factor to be realized in most home projects, right ? I think this concept on the whole has some great potential.. But then, who am I ? Just some nut thats been playing his stereo way too loud for way to long.. Gotta love it...

LFE ! The rest is just details..