So, let this be a lesson to you all. Don't fight it, you just postpone the inevitable and buy even more stuff.

I picked up a Pioneer 578 just like I threatened, installed it in the basement (HT) moved the Sony DVD player upstairs, and moved the megachanger downstairs.

Ahh. Nice bass. Everything sounds great. Actually the imaging sucks because one M60 is near a stone fireplace and the other is near a big hole in the wall where the bar opens into the room. And the bass booms.

OK, move everything around. Angle the system to give a sweet spot where the reflected sound off the stone fireplace can't hit your ears. Play with the M60-to-wall distance to get rid of the boom (turned out to be one M60 too close to the side wall).

Better. Bass response is still a bit uneven but much improved. Really need to move the system back to the other end of the room to get really good sound, but this is still pretty nice.

Carry a stack of CDs upstairs which don't need deep bass to sound "complete" Wonderful. Glorious.

Nuts. I still miss the bass.

New plan. Order QS8s from the factory outlet. I have a big honkin sub downstairs so M2s as mains work mighty fine. Move the M60s back upstairs. Try not to think about how big they are. Sounds great. Happy.

We're all quite mad, you know.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8