When I was putting together my Home theater equipment, the salesman showed me the monster power conditioner that according to him I "must" have to ensure quality performance of my system and to protect my expensive equipment from the harmful effect of "dirty" power coming from the wall.

I decided to buy a regular $30 surge protector/power strip because I really needed a power strip for added outlet. Based on my research I also found out that:

1. The power company deals with lightning strikes all the time and they have more expensive equipment to protect. Their lightning protection should also protect your equipment. Just in case it strikes pretty close to your house, you cannot expect any kind of conditioner/surge protector to stop it. It can jump several feet while the circuitry in your lightning protection is how many millimeters?

2. Unless the conditioner you are buying has enough stored power (batteries) or it regenerates the electricity, how could you expect it to condition the power?

3. You equipment manufacturer is aware of the normal voltage fluctuation from the wall and their equipment are designed to take it.

4. Unless you use a generator at your backyard for your power, the one from the wall is clean enough.