This is my first post and I have no previous experience wih subs, so please bear with me.

In all likelyhood I will soon be joining the Axiom family(just waiting for colour discs before ordering). From what I've read the sub is real important to any HT system, especially with bookshelf speakers as the mains, and want to get the best for my hard earned buck. So, my question is what sub to purchase. I'm hoping to keep the purchase to about $600+-50 cdn and am considering the following subs in that price range:HSU STF-2; SVS PB10-ISD; Velodyne DLS 4000 and of course the Axiom EP175.

My main concern is sound quality, although size and looks are a consideration. Not knowing anything about how they sound/perform, the pro's and con's I can discern from the specs. are: the SVS goes to the lowest frequencies 20Hz (+-3 db), the rest to about 25Hz, except the Axiom to only 32Hz; the SVS doesn't have speaker level inputs and a low-pass filter while the rest do thus is restricted to use with a Dolby Digital A/V receiver (my intended use, but you never know); the Velodyne has a 12 inch driver while the rest have 10 inch (sounds like guys comparing tools) making it more adaptable should I move the system to a larger room in the future; the Axiom sub finish would match the finish I select for the rest of the system.

Your thoughts and insights on the above models (or any others of similar value) would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

I almost forgot, the size of my HT room is fairly small at 12x16x7.4 ft. but ajoins at the end of the long wall by a 4 ft. wide opening to a room 10x13x7.4. The couch will be set up on one side of the long wall 11 ft. across from the mains and screen.