AMD,
The mp3 compression scheme is anything but awesome. Although it is a neat idea to shorten uncompressed, and large, wav files into smaller, more tradable versions, the compression removes information that is perceived 'unhearable' by human ears. It clips out high frequencies, low frequencies and most other sound spikes that could not be heard on a crappy computer sound system (or most car stereos) anyway.
If you have ever seen a divx movie, you will note that this same crappy compression carries over into the visuals quite easily. Since it is easier for people to distinguish a dvd movie from its divx equivalent, give this test a try:
Rent a dvd, lets say Mothman Prophecies and download the divx version
(***Note: REMOVE DIVX/mp3 FROM COMPUTER AFTER USE. THIS FORUM POSTER DOES NOT CONDONE THE DOWNLOADING OF ILLEGAL MATERIAL DUE TO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENTS. THOSE WHO DO NOT HEED THIS WARNING MAY/CAN BE SODOMIZED BY THE RIAA***)
Then go to an area in the movie where darkness prevails. Watch how often the divx version breaks up and the quality of the darkness becomes blocky. Due to the lack of detail in these scenes from the darkness, it is clear to see how the divx compression technique removed visual information perceived 'unviewable' by human eyes (just plain black darkness) in order to do its compression trick.
Apply those same visual artifacts but to a sound format like mp3 and you will truly understand how crappy the mp3 really is.

As for all the bitrates stuff, i suggest you get Semi to discuss it more. He's a part time kinda guy at Ars Technica. For some crazy reason i would trust his computer knowledge in the extreme.

In regards to the speaker wire, any cheap Home Depot stuff will do. All speaker wire is non-oxide since all metal oxides are either 'rust' or powder materials, typically useless for electrical conduction.

All that being said, i certainly would consider a receiver or cd player upgrade but really the first solution might be to quit using mp3s.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."